Foreign Secretary has said that the recommendations from the Cox’s Bazar dialogue will be placed at the upcoming Rohingya conference in New York

Siam said that these perspectives and deliberations will be echoed in the discussions in New York.

Aug 24, 2025 - 23:13
 0
Foreign Secretary has said that the recommendations from the Cox’s Bazar dialogue will be placed at the upcoming Rohingya conference in New York
Foreign Secretary has said that the recommendations from the Cox’s Bazar dialogue will be placed at the upcoming Rohingya conference in New York.

Foreign Secretary Asad Alam Siam said today that the recommendations emerging from the ongoing three-day international stakeholders’ dialogue on the Rohingya issue in Cox’s Bazar will be presented as inputs at the upcoming high-level Rohingya conference in New York.

The New York meeting on the Rohingya crisis is scheduled for 30 September on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).

“This dialogue has been organised as a preparatory step for that conference. Its special importance lies in the direct participation of Rohingyas, who are sharing their hopes, frustrations, and expectations for the future,” Siam told BSS in an interview this afternoon on the sidelines of the dialogue at Hotel Baywatch.

He said these voices and deliberations will be carried forward to the discussions in New York.

According to the foreign secretary, the Cox’s Bazar dialogue is structured around four thematic areas: humanitarian assistance and the funding crisis, the situation in Myanmar’s Rakhine State and confidence-building measures for repatriation, justice and accountability, and long-term strategies for sustainable solutions.

A “Chair’s Summary” will be prepared at the conclusion of the dialogue, he added. “This document will consolidate the key outcomes and recommendations, serving as a crucial input for the New York conference.”

Highlighting the urgent need for support, Siam warned of a looming humanitarian disaster if aid does not arrive. He noted that alongside traditional contributors, efforts are underway to mobilise resources from new sources.

On the question of safe and dignified repatriation, he stressed that Bangladesh’s efforts continue, but the process ultimately depends on conditions inside Myanmar and the restoration of trust.

He underscored that the Rohingya crisis has evolved beyond a regional challenge into a global responsibility. “The international community must step up and play an active role,” he said.

Siam informed that Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus will officially inaugurate the dialogue tomorrow, where he is expected to urge stronger coordination with the international community.

The event, titled “Stakeholders’ Dialogue: Takeaway to the High-Level Conference on the Rohingya Situation”, is jointly organised by the Office of the High Representative for the Rohingya Issue and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The dialogue runs until 26 August in Cox’s Bazar, home to over a million Rohingya refugees.

Participants include diplomats, international experts, Rohingya representatives, global organisations, and academics from Bangladesh and abroad.

Nearly 800,000 Rohingyas fled to Bangladesh in August 2017 following military operations in Myanmar’s Rakhine State. Since then, Bangladesh has engaged the international community in seeking a resolution to the crisis.

What's Your Reaction?

like

dislike

love

funny

angry

sad

wow