Trump hosts Netanyahu, expresses hope for Israel-Hamas deal ‘within the week’

Trump hosts Netanyahu, expresses hope for Israel-Hamas deal ‘within the week’

Jul 7, 2025 - 10:56
 0
Trump hosts Netanyahu, expresses hope for Israel-Hamas deal ‘within the week’
Trump hosts Netanyahu, expresses hope for Israel-Hamas deal ‘within the week’

Trump Hosts Netanyahu, Eyes Israel-Hamas Deal 'Within the Week'

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is set to meet U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday, with Trump voicing optimism that a deal between Israel and Hamas could be reached “this week,” potentially securing the release of hostages held in Gaza.

Indirect talks between Israel and Hamas resumed Sunday evening in Doha, aimed at brokering a ceasefire and negotiating the exchange of hostages for Palestinian prisoners.

Speaking to reporters on Sunday, Trump said there was a “good chance” of reaching an agreement. “We’ve already gotten many of the hostages out. Now, several more could be released,” he said.

Netanyahu, before departing for Washington, said his discussions with Trump could “definitely help advance” the negotiations. The U.S. president has been pushing for a truce in Gaza, where nearly two years of war have caused a severe humanitarian crisis.

Netanyahu confirmed that his team had been dispatched to Doha with “clear instructions” to pursue a deal within pre-agreed conditions. He earlier criticized Hamas’s reply to a U.S.-backed ceasefire proposal—relayed through Qatari and Egyptian mediators—as containing “unacceptable” terms.

60-Day Truce Proposal

Two Palestinian sources familiar with the talks told AFP the proposed deal includes a 60-day ceasefire, during which Hamas would release 10 live hostages and several bodies in exchange for Palestinian detainees held in Israeli prisons. However, Hamas is also demanding assurances over Israel’s withdrawal, a halt to fighting during negotiations, and restoration of the UN-led aid distribution system.

Israeli President Isaac Herzog described Netanyahu’s visit to Washington as an “important mission” to bring home the remaining hostages.

According to the Israeli military, 49 of the 251 hostages taken during the 2023 Hamas-led attack remain in Gaza, including 27 confirmed dead. Since the October assault, which killed 1,219 people—mostly civilians—according to Israeli figures, Israel’s military response has killed over 57,000 people in Gaza, mostly civilians, according to the territory’s Hamas-run health ministry. The UN considers these figures credible.

Bloodshed and Aid Crisis

Meanwhile, heavy Israeli bombardment continues. On Sunday, Gaza’s civil defense agency reported 26 deaths, including 10 in a strike on Gaza City's Sheikh Radwan neighborhood. “We’re losing children and families every day. It has to stop,” said resident Osama al-Hanawi.

AFP has been unable to independently verify casualty numbers due to restricted access and media limitations. The Israeli military declined to comment on specific strikes without detailed location data.

The humanitarian situation in Gaza remains dire. A U.S.- and Israel-backed group, the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF), began distributing food in late May after a partial easing of Israel’s aid blockade. But chaos and violence have plagued the effort, with more than 500 people reportedly killed while trying to access food near GHF sites, according to the UN human rights office. Gaza’s health ministry claims the toll is even higher—751 dead.

UN agencies and humanitarian groups have distanced themselves from the GHF, raising concerns that its operations align too closely with Israeli military goals.

Despite several previous attempts at truce negotiations and two temporary ceasefires in the past, talks have repeatedly broken down over Hamas’s demand for a permanent end to hostilities—something Israel continues to reject.

What's Your Reaction?

like

dislike

love

funny

angry

sad

wow