Over 250 Illegal Healthcare Facilities Shut Down Nationwide in Bangladesh
Over 250 Illegal Healthcare Facilities Shut Down Nationwide in Bangladesh
The government has intensified its nationwide crackdown on illegally operated and substandard healthcare facilities, with the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) shutting down more than 250 hospitals, clinics, blood banks and diagnostic centres over the past five months.
According to a BSS report published Tuesday, the DGHS launched regular drives on March 29 across Dhaka and various districts and upazilas to tackle long-standing irregularities in the healthcare sector.
Dr Md Nurul Islam, director of the DGHS Hospital and Clinic Branch, said nearly 5,000 healthcare facilities have been inspected so far, with more than 250 illegal clinics shut down.
Around 200 facilities have been given time to address irregularities, while those with expired licences were allowed time to renew them. Nearly 6,000 facilities have since renewed their licences, while applications from another 2,000–3,000 facilities are under review.
Health authorities said the campaign aims to restore discipline in the healthcare sector, rebuild public confidence and ensure safe and quality medical services.
A 2024 health authority report identified 1,285 illegally operating hospitals, clinics and diagnostic centres nationwide. Dhaka division had the highest number at 415, followed by Mymensingh with 252, Chattogram with 240, Khulna with 156 and Rangpur with 111.
In Dhaka alone, around 25 illegal facilities have been shut down in recent months. Authorities have also closed facilities in Faridpur, Tangail, Shariatpur, Narsingdi, Pabna, Manikganj, Jhenaidah and Rajshahi.
Health Minister Sardar Md Sakhawat Hossain said facilities failing to meet minimum healthcare standards would face immediate closure, stressing that there would be “no compromise” on healthcare quality.
The crackdown has also expanded to remote areas, with legal action being taken against those operating without valid licences.
DGHS Director General Professor Dr Pravath Chandra Biswas said the nationwide drives would be intensified. Officials are checking licences, medical equipment, hygiene standards and the credentials of doctors and other healthcare professionals.
Authorities are also taking action against fake doctors, nurses and medical technicians as part of the broader campaign.
What's Your Reaction?